Calling all lovers of words, storytelling and artfully constructed sentences! We are seeking a Junior Copywriter to join our team. Do you have a strongly held opinion on the Oxford comma or the CMS vs. AP Stylebook debate? Better yet: Are you inspired by working with change-making nonprofits to make the world a better place? If so, then Yakkety Yak is the perfect place for you to grow your career.
Does this sound like you?
The Yakkety Yak Junior Copywriter will collaborate with our in-house content team, multimedia verticals and with freelance resources to write and edit high-impact, on-brand content for our client portfolio. Working under the Director of Content, unrivaled grammar and a knack for storytelling.
The right candidate will help uphold the standard for our written content throughout the company, working on projects ranging from blogs, social media, newsletters, marketing pieces, website copy, video scripts and advertising. No day is ever the same!
At Yakkety Yak, we specialize in writing for a target audience and driving real impact from our work. Whether that means driving traffic through a high-impact social media post, writing quippy landing page content or contributing to long-form copy creation for purpose-driven brands, this is a dynamic role within our organization.
What You'll Do
In this role, you will contribute in the following areas:
- Uphold Yakkety Yak Core Values of Committed, Authentic, Curious, Accountable and Kind
- Review email, website, blog and social media content for grammar and accuracy
- Work with freelance contributors and other writers by assigning storylines and deadlines, providing editorial guidelines, and requesting revisions as needed
- Contribute to long-form content projects such as case studies, email marketing campaigns and other premium content
- Edit social media and email newsletter copy as well as provide feedback on visuals/graphics for industry and company-specific tone, voice, and brand across multiple client accounts
- Contribute to and maintain an editorial calendar that seeks to improve blog strategies/tactics across multiple client accounts and meet calendar deadlines
- Work with our digital strategist to optimize content for search and identify new SEO opportunities
- Estimate 50% writing, 50% editing
What You Bring
Our expectations for the candidate include:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field or equivalent experience
- 2-3+ years of professional writing and editing experience, showcasing the ability to adopt the style, tone and voice of a wide range of businesses across multiple types of content
- Insatiable curiosity to tell creative stories
- Eagle eye for catching grammatical and structural errors in writing
- Experience editing social media content to make it shine
- Excellent organizational skills to work independently and manage projects from multiple clients with many moving parts
- A creative mind and interest in using data to optimize/scale blog marketing strategies and tactics
- Excellent organizational skills to work independently, manage a team of writers and manage projects from multiple clients with many moving parts
Submit Your Application
Think you might be a good fit for our team? We'd love to meet you.
- Upload a copy of your resume
- Include a cover letter outlining 3 reasons why you are a good fit for our team
- Submit a link to sample work or professional website
Healthcare benefits, including medical, dental, vision–and pet insurance! Staying happy and healthy is a top priority.
We work hard and deliver for our clients, but we also have families and lives outside the office. #SharpentheSaw
We get that doctors visits, childcare, mental health and personal matters need space in the workday, too.
Market-leading parental leave policy. Who says you can’t grow your family while growing an agency.
Plan for your future with our 401-K program with employer match.
Loft-style office steps from Union Station, multiple CTA stops, and all that West Loop has to offer.
Our Commitment to DEI
Yakkety Yak is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Yakkety Yak recruits qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, ethnic or national origin, protected veteran status, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status or citizenship status.
About Yakkety Yak
Yakkety Yak is a full-service digital agency in growth mode. We fuse strategy and content production to craft high-impact stories for brands and businesses that care about doing good. Our full-service marketing team expertly combines multi-channel digital marketing to ignite empathy and inspire action. Curious, motivated, and inspired, we are building an environment where we can thrive together.